Did you know store bought fruit gummies or fruit snacks are full of sugar, high fructose corn syrup and artificial dyes? Dentists blame fruit snacks to be the number one cause for cavities in children! If you are concerned about giving your kids healthy snacks, Homemade Healthy Gummies is the way to go!!
These Homemade Healthy Gummies are made with real fruits and veggies, full of vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients!
Gelatin is also a source of dietary collagen and protein- it’s anti-inflammatory, known to improve digestion, and promote healthy skin/hair/nails. A good quality gelatin is always a good idea.
- 1 1/2 cups fruit and/or vegetable juice, freshly made with a Juicer (best choice) or store-bought (making sure it is 100% juice and preferably not from concentrate).
- 4 tablespoons plain gelatin (I prefer a grass fed gelatin but you can find plain gelatin near the Jello in your local grocery store. Four tablespoons usually comes out to 4-6 gelatin packets, but I would empty the packets into a bowl and use a measure spoon to be most accurate.
- 2-4 tablespoons Raw Honey depending on your preference and how sweet your juice is. I would do a bit more honey if your juice is heavy on the veggies.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, I recommend Organic Pure Vanilla Extract – optional
- Pour juice into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let sit for a few minutes until it starts to “bloom” (it will get wrinkly looking on the surface and all of the white powder from the gelatin will absorb into the liquid). When all the gelatin is absorbed, whisk to combine.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Let the liquid warm, but never boil. You are looking for the liquid to go from thick and batter-like to thin and runny. You want all of the gelatin to dissolve (you can test this by dipping your finger in the liquid and rubbing it against your thumb- if it’s smooth, you’re ready, if it’s grainy, keep it on the heat).
- Next, whisk in your honey, extract and any extra ingredients, if using.
- Pour into a Loaf Pan or fun candy molds and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set. You can use your fun molds or simply cut them into squares. Some of my favorite molds are the Freshware 30-Cavity Silicone Mold and the kilofly Silicone Mold, Robot & Dinosaur.
- Remove from molds. If you used the loaf pan, cut your gelatin into small squares.
- Keep your homemade healthy gummies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 1-2 weeks.
- Red/Pink: Red beets, strawberries, carrots and a bit of lemon juice
- Orange: Carrots, oranges, ginger and some mango juice
- Yellow: Yellow bell pepper, yellow beets, yellow pear, yellow apple and a bit of lemon juice (DO NOT use pineapple juice, your gelatin will not set up due to the enzyme bromelain that’s found in pineapple)
- Green: Kale, green grapes, cucumber, green apple and lime (DO NOT use kiwi, your gelatin will not set up)
- Purple: Purple cabbage, blackberries, blueberries, a bit of red beet and an apple (concord grapes would work well, too)
If you want to lighten up the color of your homemade healthy gummies, you can also substitute some milk (dairy or non-dairy) for some of the juice in the recipe.
I am sharing this homemade healthy gummies recipe from the MPMK Blog. For more snack ideas, check out my Creative And Healthy Snack Ideas post or Fun And Healthy Fruit Pop Ideas recipe for more snack options!